Friday, May 23, 2008

Homeward Bound

Day 12 of GWC S3 Projects 2008
As we left Raasay and started the long drive back to Edinburgh, I reflected on the experience of the last two weeks. Being a GWC Projects newbie, I really didn't know what to expect. Back at school, it was simply a word that you would hear every now and again and it was often talked about with great enthusiasm by the older members of staff. However, if someone had asked me, two weeks ago: "What is Projects?", I would have to admit that I really had no idea at all. Certainly, no one had explained it to me so I would consider that a very good question. A question that, I would be willing to bet, all the kids were thinking two weeks ago as well. Now I feel I know what GWC Projects is all about. It's not all about climbing big mountains and pushing yourself to your physical limit. It's more about the ups and downs, the highs and lows, the personal challenges you overcome and the friends you make on the way. Just as important and influential in your life as your first day at school, your driving test, the day you leave home, or your first day in your new job.
Knackered!
Part of me was glad to be heading home, as two weeks is quite a long stretch away from home, and part of me was going to miss the delight of doing something new and making the most of each day. I knew that the kids would be different back at school too. They would go back to their preferred friendship groups and we would pass each other in the corridors almost like strangers. But I also knew that every one of them would remember this trip for the rest of their lives and that they would take much out of the experience. Better than any classroom at school can give. A vital part in the education of these kids, for sure.