Saturday, January 3, 2009

Allermuir and Caerketton

I had great plans to get out into the hills over the Christmas and New Year break this year, but I had quite enjoyed being able to just chill out and relax. I guess because I had been so busy at work, I was struggling to find the motivation to get out and get stuff done. As if from nowhere, the holidays were almost over so I was keen to make the most of this last weekend and hopefully sneak in a walk or two before heading back to the desk.
Saturday was a glorious morning and when I nipped out for breakfast, I noticed that the Pentlands had received a dusting of snow over night. The sight of the hills in the morning sun filled me with excitement because I knew we could be there in only 20 minutes. I ran upstairs to the flat and threw a quick pack together, then back down again and jumped into the car. We parked just off the slip road at Dreghorn junction and made our way through Chuckle Knowe. Initially, we took the track past the ranges and up the Howden Burn. But soon we left the track and headed straight up the steep slopes to the top of Green Craig. There was little movement in the air but there was certainly a nip in the air! The ground was quite firm, but not frozen. At about 450 metres up, we started crunching on the dusting of snow on the grassy hill. Carrying on up the more gradual incline, we were soon at the top of Allermuir Hill. As it was such a clear day, we were treated to stunningly clear views of Edinburgh.

Despite the views, it was rather chilly at the top. After having a short stop and snapping a few pictures, we continued east along the ridge over Byerside Hill above Windy Door Nick, down to the coll and steeply back up again to the summit of Caerketton Hill. After admiring the views once more, another steep descent took us down to Hillend.

The light was beginning to fade as we headed back to the car; passed Lothianburn and Swanston Golf Clubs and around Shearie Knowe. Back home in time for tea a very happy chappy :)