Friday, July 10, 2009

First Trad Climbing Rack - New Shiny Stuff!

Today... the postman came!
After purchasing my first set of nuts during our trip to The Lakes and leading my first Trad route, I was keen to get more climbing done over the summer. For that, I was going to need a bit more than a set of wires...
I had a bit of extra cash and I figured it was a good investment in the long term so I started shopping around online for the best deals on a basic Trad rack. I shopped around, but I still couldn't beat TheOutdoorShop.com on price, and their service has always been excellent. I got the usual selection of Dyneema slings of various lengths, and I already had a set of Wild Country Classic Rock Set, so all I really had to get was some screwgates, hexes and quick draws.
In the end I went for a set of 10 Wild Country Wild Wire quick draws of various lengths. I went for these mainly for the price - they were the cheapest ones I could find by a well-known brand. Again, because of the price, I went for a set of Wild Country Rockcentric Dyneema hexes. For the screwgates, I opted for Wild Country Synergy Lite Keylock Screwgates. To rack everything, I also bought a 5 pack of the Wild Country Oxygen Straight Gates - mainly because of the price (cheap) but also because they were straight gates rather than wire gates so hopefully the nose wouldn't snag on anything in my inexperienced hands!
I'm happy with what I've purchased for now as a starting point, so now I'm super-excited to try it out on some real rock!