Monday, April 25, 2011

A restful morning in Hawes

I went to check on the girls early and, to my surprise, they had got up and left super early. Pleased with this, I headed back to Hawes for a spot of grub and a coffee before heading back to Mossdale Head to collect their route card and to check that they were on track.

As this was a rather easy last day, I was keen to leave them alone and trust them a bit more. I felt it was important for them to experience a little freedom and sense of achievement by being on their own a little more. Nevertheless, I couldn't help but be a little concerned so I parked up and waited for them to appear on the minor road near Thorney Mire House.

Despite their eagerness of earlier, they had once again slowed to a plod and were now behind schedule. With some final words of encouragement, I sent them on their way at a slightly quicker pace. Knowing this was their final leg, I headed back to Hawes to buy them all a can of coke and a cream egg - well, it was easter after all!

Eventually, the shattered group of girls arrived in the main coach car park where they were very relieved to be parted with their bags for a while. After the debrief, I didn't hang around for long and hit the road for the drive North back to Edinburgh. They had been a challenging group, but I was pleased with how they had coped and come through the challenge very much as a group. I wish them all the very best with the remainder of their Silver Award.