Thursday, March 12, 2009

Braid Hills

Pentlands with a light dusting of snow, from Braid Hills
It had been a glorious day but unfortunately I had been stuck inside at my desk all day. However, this gave me great motivation to get my daily tasks finished that would allow me to leave early and make the most of the bright spring evening. I already had a small bag packed with some essentials so all that was need was a super quick change into more suitable attire.

Blackford Hill with Salisbury Crags and Arthur's Seat behind
 
I was soon entering Blackford Glen after the short dander up the road from the flat. I had taken a stroll up to the top of Blackford Hill quite a few times in the past but I had never been up to the top of the Braids - my goal for this evenings stroll. Instead of tacking the main road through the middle of the glen, I took the path that went straight up the steep bank and hugged the south boundary fence of the glen. After a short distance I went through the gate on the right that led out of the glen to the lower Hermitage Golf Course. I crossed Braid Hills Drive just opposite the little cafe and entered The Braids at the small patch of waste ground that is the only access through the thick gorse. I headed straight across the the upper course and made a direct line for the masts at the top of the hill, looking out for golf balls as I went!

At the top I had fantastic views of the Pentlands and all across Edinburgh. I even had to take my Windstopper off as I was too warm; a sign that summer is approaching? Perhaps...
Looking towards North Berwick Law in the distance

I zipped back down via Buckstone Snab just in time for tea. A very easy walk but great to make the most of the final light of the magnificent day.
Looking towards the Pentlands across Hermitage Golf Course