Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Thigh injury - 3 x grade II tears

Since injuring my right thigh on Monday, I have been treating it religiously with ice and plenty of regular Ibuprofen - it is still very painful.
This afternoon I visited SPACE for a full damage report on my injury. I was assessed by Ross Mayberry and he soon found the extent of my injuries after a rather painful assessment! He told me that the primary injury was to my sartorious but I had also badly injured my tensor fasciae latae and my psoas major muscles. He explained that all three muscles were damaged by the way I had kicked the ball: across my body with my right foot. He said that the injuries were quite bad and he estimated that each muscle had sustained a grade II strain (tear) so I was looking at 6-8 weeks recovery time at least.
My heart sank - that meant that I would be out for the first part of the winter season at least and it would probably be nearer December before I could attempt any winter climbs this year. Ross told me to continue to rest and he gave me some stretches to try and get some movement back in my leg, which was now very tight and stiff indeed.
All I can do is follow the good advice and try to get back as soon as possible... gutted!