Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ankle therapy continues

Over the past couple of weeks I have been attempting some self-physio on my badly sprained ankle and so far it is going well and I seem to be making a swift recovery. To increase mobility I have been submerging my injured foot in a basin of hot (as hot as I can tolerate!) water for 10 minutes. Whilst submerged, I have been performing a series of stretches and gradually increasing the range of mobility. I have also progressed to rolling a tennis ball under the sole of my foot and moving it in a circular motion. After 10 minutes of treatment in the cold water, I then repeat the same stretches/exercises in a basin of cold (freezing cold!) water for 10 minutes. Finally, I repeat the exercises for a final time but this time without being submerged in water.
I have found this treatment to be highly effective and I have been doing it every evening religiously as it really helps to relieve the stiffness and tightness in my ankle joint. I have been able to resume some light cycling and even a few minutes on the cross-trainer without too much pain. I've not yet attempted any long walks, jogging or any climbing - but hopefully this will come very soon. Again, I am taking things slowly and not trying to rush back too much but winter won't be here for much longer!