Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Flotterstone by night

After getting in a bit of night nav practice in on Saturday evening, I was feeling quite good about the technical aspects of the SML assessment next week. Richard T and Richard G said that they would take James and I out one evening this week for a bit of night nav, just to make sure we were ready. Both of them were ML qualified so I was very grateful for any help, advice and guidance that they could offer.
Tonight, we met at the Flotterstone Rangers Centre car park at 6:30pm and headed off into the darkness with our head-torches. The Richards put James and I through our paces and ran the evening a little like a mock-assessment. I felt very comfortable finding the features and taking them to exactly where they wanted to go. I was also surprised at how well I was able to follow where we where, when it wasn't my turn to lead - I felt ready.
The only concern I had was that I didn't have enough 'Quality Mountain Days' logged to qualify for the assessment. But there wasn't much point in dwelling on this now, as it was booked and we were heading to Fort William on Sunday evening.