Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pentlands Night Nav

For some crazy reason, I had agreed to sign up for my Summer Mountain Leader Award assessment. A colleaugue at work, James, had signed up for an assessment that was one member short, so I stepped up. The only thing was; the assessment was less than 2 weeks away!
I wasn't sure if I was ready for it, as I had only just done the SML training in April this year, but I was certainly going to give it my best shot. I had been out in the hills a fair amount recently but it had been a long time since I had done any night navigation so I thought it was best to brush up on this again. I wanted to wait until the weather was bad before going out to practice; my thinking was that if I could cope with it in the worst conditions, then I should be able to cope with any conditions when it came to the real thing.
It just so happened that Saturday was a real dog of a day and the wind and rain worsened as the evening drew in - perfect. I wanted to go somewhere that was completely unfamiliar to me but I didn't want to drive too far either. I decided to head towards West Linton and up the road towards Baddinsgill. I parked just before the entrance to the farm and geared up in the comfort of the car. The wind was now howling and the rain was lashing down - I must be mad; going out in this on a Saturday night. But it would be worth it, I told myself. After layering up I pulled on my hat and turned on my head-torch, then I opened the door and stepped out into the night.
I headed back along the road before turning West into Dipper Wood and got a bit of shelter from the wind and the rain. It really was an awful night, but that seemed to simply spur me on. I had soon exited Glen Ely and was clear of the last of the trees and out onto the open hillside. It was pitch black and I only had the strong beam of my trusty Petzl Myo RXP for company. By now, I was already quite wet, so I wasn't hanging around: trying to move as quickly as possible up the grassy slope without loosing count of my paces. I wanted to practice my pacing and timings, as well as my general navigation - I knew that all of these would come under scrutiny on the assessment. I was soon at the top of Byrehope Mount where there was absolutely no shelter from the elements! Not wishing to hang around here, I headed on, into the wind, and followed the features and the fence to the summit of Craigengar.
Now damp and quite chilly, I decided that was enough for tonight so I made my way back down to the farm, using the features of the land to find my way. I have to say, I was rather pleased to get home and to get warm and dry again. But I was very pleased with how the evening had gone. I hadn't forgotten how to navigate in the dark and my pacing and timing were pretty much bang on so this gave me confidence, for sure.
No pictures, sorry... it was far too wet for my camera!